Friday, May 26, 2017

Wrestle Jam 5 Report from Ringgold on May 25

From Sean Thompson:

God where to start with this one. Well, I was told to be brutally honest, so I will be BRUTALLY honest. Here we go.

My estimate of the attendance at the Colonnade Civic Center was .400-500.

First off doors were supposed to open at 5pm and they didn’t open them till nearly 530pm. The fan fest was fun as I got to meet Ricky “The Dragon" Steamboat.

After a Hall of Fame ceremony that saw Paul Orndorff get inducted by Ricky the Dragon Steamboat, and Tracy Smothers get inducted by Paul Lee, the show started with Steamboat welcoming everybody to Wrestlejam 5. He was promptly interrupted by the AWF Tag Team Champions. Brian Valor and Alex Taylor. They attacked Steamboat, who fended them off and got a "you still got it" chant in the process. Teddy Long came out and told Valor and Taylor that they had a tag match for their belts later on against Crimson and JP Magnum.


Match 1 - King Shane Williams (with Queen Taylor) vs. Mike Jackson

Old school style by Jackson. Shane had some good offense. Williams’ valet didn’t well with the with ref distractions. Williams had the ref distracted while Jackson was on the outside and Queen never touched him. She also missed a couple of queues like distracting the ref too early. She is nothing but eye candy. Williams finished Jackson with a piledriver while the ref was distracted. I don’t know why a ref distraction was needed there, but it is what it is.

Ryback came out to address the crowd and said he had shoulder surgery and can’t perform he got interrupted by Teddy Long, who asked if Ryback booked the show. Paul Lee interrupted and had audio trouble (The start of what would the worst audio in wrestling history.) Paul said Ryback was scared to face “the Real Nature Boy” and proceeded to elbow drop his jacket. This guy tries so hard to be Flair even in promos. Ryback called him out on it and said people call him a Goldberg wannabe but Paul Lee takes impersonation to a whole new level. Ryback then said since he can’t wrestle he had a surprise opponent for Paul in the main event.

Match 2 - Battle Royal

Tracy Smothers won this horrible 6 man, yes I said 6 man Battle Royal, thank God it was short. This was complete crap and chaos that served no purpose whatsoever.

Match 3 - The Jungle Kings (Lex Lee and Kevin Kaufman) vs. The Boys (Brent & Brandon Tate) from ROH.

Lots of fast paced spots in this one. They did a funny spot where everyone got body slammed by Kevin, only for him to be body slammed by the ref who went for a cover on one of The Boys and got a 2 count via Lex counting. Jungle Kings won with the Katy Perry (yes you read that right their finishing move is called the Katy Perry). Kind of an awesome name if you ask me.

Match 4 - Vader vs. Ironman

Vader tried talking on the mic only to have more audio problems. Vader issued an open challenge accepted by Ironman who has horrible ring attire, a welder's mask and a blacksmith apron. This was also complete crap, just horrible. I have all the respect in the world for Vader and his career, but he does not need to be in a ring at this point. Vader over with a Vader Bomb. I’m glad this was short.

Match 5 - Brian Valor and Alex Taylor vs. Crimson and JP Magnum

Crimson was the best part of this otherwise short and terrible match. It was a showcase of what not to do in the ring. Taylor’s timing was off on everything and he looked like he had no clue what he was doing, although I will admit Valor does have a beautiful frog splash. Valor and Taylor retained the titles after shenanigans behind the back of the ref.

Match 6 - Paul Lee vs. Buff Bagwell (with Robbie Rude)

Typical Paul Lee match. This guy is horrible in every sense of the word. It showed that Buff is past his prime, slow as the day is long in the ring. The only good thing about this match was Lee's top rope Flair bump through a table. Buff over after a distraction from Ryback.

Main Event - "Tokyo Monster" Kahangas vs Fly Guy for the AWF World Championship

How can you be a world champion if you don’t defend the title anywhere but Ringgold, Georgia? Kahangas beat Fly Guy down on the ropes for a good 30 seconds, how was it not a DQ This match was garbage. There should have been a DQ countless times. Fly Guy over with a moonsault. Kahangas attacked Fly Guy after the match.

All in all this show was complete crap and a waste of money. The only good thing that came from this was I got to mark out for Steamboat and The Boys. The audio was lousy all night long. The only good match was The Jungle Kings vs The Boys. The in-house commentary by L.P. Hamm and his associate was atrocious and if I never hear “Oh Hamm Yeah” again I will be happy.

37 comments:

  1. What a disgrace. And people who went to this and paid money should be embarrassed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm...for one fly guy defended his awf heavyweight belt on the 16th in cleveland tn. May 20th he defended it at locus grove. April he defended it in rossville ga. So he has defended his belt outside of ringgold. The pile driver is banned in awf show. So taylor got the refs attention so he wouldn't see william's do the pile driver. If you listen to the commontator you would have known. The "oh hamm yeah" is a catch phrase, everyone has one in wrestling. Everyone talks about how good they commontate. Also Iron'man works in a steel factory, so thats why he has a apron and a mask. The technical difficulties has nothing to do with anything. Everyone has them. There was well over 500 people. There was almost 20 to selling out. Alex taylor was trained by Seth rollins, so I guess your a seth rollins hater. ONCE again you didn't listen to the commontator bc he said that and Paul Lee also said that on the news channel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shit show. Shit people running it. And this "explanation" only validates the report, frankly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I gotta know who headlined wrestle jam 4 ����I gotta get that DVD!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "unknown" this show has been around 29 years and 1172 people there this year and last year there was 1200 sold out. This goes out to the chicken shit thaat can't even put his name on here. Michael savarese the headliner was Nash and Flair. Kevin Nash signed the VIP chairs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "This goes out to the chicken shut thaat (sic) can't even put his name on here"
    -kandikid4life

    Uhhhh.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just know I'm a photographer. I guess you haven't been to AWF shows but you come out to the big shows to mark out to the big names.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I went to the show again this year and it always seems there is false advertisement to me. Last year I believe Scott Hall, Cody Hall, and The Young Bucks we're advertised. They even put them on shirts. None of those listed showed up. It seems like bait and switch to me. This year he posts a video on Facebook how Ryback isn't ready for The Real Nature Boy one day before the show. Even though he knew Ryback wasn't wrestling they still promoted it as a match. The audio is really bad every year. They should hire someone a little competent to run. The audio. Just tired of the false advertisement. Also, why put doors open at 5 and show starts at 7 if they actually start 30 minutes later than the time you post?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Scott hall was never booked for wrestle-jam, cody hall didn't show...young bucks canceled weeks before the show. If you can prove to me that scott hall was on a t-shirt. The doors did open at 5pm maybe a few minutes after 5pm but it wasn't no 530. It always starts at 730. The ryback situation, noone knew that...he still showed up and everyone got to meet him and take pictures with him...note that it says card subject to change. I guess you don't understand that. Your intelligence is stupid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why would you call me stupid? I don't advertise these shows. AWF does. Okay, so let's bring up another issue I've had with AWF. The first time Ric Flair came we were promised​ Ric Flair autograph 8 x 10s with the purchase of ringside seats. Guess what? The autograph was a copy from a copying machine. My intelligence was probably at fault for that too.

      Delete
    2. Your silence says it all. Card subject to change is understandable, but you don't need to promote someone weeks after they had surgery. On May 9th Ryback had surgery and the show was the 25. Why continue to promote him being in a match?

      Delete
    3. Oh I know... to sell more tickets

      Delete
    4. Here is proof of bait and switch with the Young Bucks.

      https://mobile.twitter.com/TheFakeMattM/status/596453302767886338

      Delete
  10. But Ryback was still there wasn't like he was a no show he still did the meet and greet and still did a something in the show I didn't hear anyone get mad about him not working a match and I hear that happens in wwe when they come to Chattanooga saying someone will be there and then they not at the show at all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Ryback was there and you had to pay additional money for an autograph or $20 for a picture. My son wanted to see Ryback wrestle not a promo. It wouldn't be so bad if AWF was upfront about it. I knew about the surgery and warned my son. AWF could have made it know beforehand. I bought my tickets in April or else we wouldn't have went.

      Delete
    2. How could a wrestling fan know weeks before a show that the main attraction had surgery and would not wrestle, but the promoter didn't know beforehand? You found out the day of the show? I don't believe it

      Delete
  11. WWE has, but they replace that person with another star. They don't continue to promote that wrestler.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm just saying they do things like this all the time. I would also say it is better to mark out over the big names than the no names at AWF

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nope when they came to Chattanooga they was like this guy will be in action you get there and dude not there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just because you say WWE does it then that doesn't make it okay. It's not ethical. This is just the last straw for me. I should have quit going to shows when they gave me a zerox copy of a Ric Flair autograph.

      Delete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tell me how they have did this many times

    ReplyDelete
  16. I listed multiple unethical issues above. I'm not posting again.

    ReplyDelete
  17. U r just upset bc ryback didn't wrestle ok and u r the only one. I know of that was upset about it but I like said it happen sry u didn't enjoy the show

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I said wouldn't bother me if they didn't continue to promote Ryback wrestling. Look at the Wrestle Jam 5 Facebook. Paul Lee is promoting the match even though it was well known Ryback wouldn't wrestle. He posted the video May 19. May 9th is when I saw that Ryback wouldn't be wrestling anywhere for a while due to shoulder surgery.

      Delete
  18. Ok, I was there for this debacle. A few thoughts:

    - I went because I wanted to meet Steamboat and Smothers. Only reason. I knew Paul Lee was shit and I agonized over giving him my money. But I went. So Paul tells us we have to buy a "ticket" to meet Steamboat for $20. I do so. Then I find out that if you paid Steamboat directly, you got both a pic and a signed 8x10. But if you had a "ticket?" Just a pic. So Paul was skimming from a real wrestler.

    - The show. Worst show I've ever been to and I've been to hundreds. No one wrestled like they gave a shit, other than maybe Mike Jackson. The broken mic stuff was so amateur hour, and it literally happened half a dozen times. Oh and there were MAYBE 350 people there. I was there, I can fucking count. 350. 375 max. Shut the fuck up about some 1200.

    - The Lions/Boys match was actually my least favorite match, as it was like 8 year olds playing wrestling. Learn to sell, and learn to throw a believable worked punch for Chrissakes. Also, Lex, steroids only work if you go to the gym while you use them.

    -Ryback was a bait and switch. Just admit it. They knew he had surgery months ago, still promoted a match, and didn't deliver. This is a Paul Lee pattern. And the actual match - dear Lord. I've never seen so much sagging leathery skin. Also it was maybe the worst match of all time.

    -I'm sorry, but something needs to be said about LP Hamm. I'm sorry he's special. I truly am. But I'm diabetic and don't go entering Pixy Stick eating contests. He ruins the show. I literally heard "Hamm yeah" 300 times. He uses it as a nervous tic, because he has nothing to say and is afraid of dead air. We end up paying for it.

    If this was all a coincidence, ok. But Paul Lee has built a lifetime of skimming, taking shortcuts (find a new injection site Paul), blaming others, lying and generally being a garbage human being. It's a shame so many innocent good people get cancer when Paul Lee remains cancer free. Hang it up please. Take your shitty kids with you. And then maybe go drink some bleach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You summed it up perfectly. Much better than I can. There was so much I couldn't put it into words. Oh, I agree whole heartedly about LP. My seven year old was plugging his ears to try and block out LP. I'm sure one of Paul's marks that works​ for him will try to flame you for this, but I was a paying customer and agree with you. Thanks again.

      Delete
  19. What the fuck is a kandikid? Did I accidentally end up on Grindr?

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's the ring name Paul gave the "Photographer" at AWF.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because the guy taking pictures needs a gimmick.

      Whoooooooooooops.

      Delete
    2. Ring Rat wasn't good enough. Needed something fresh

      Delete
  21. From what I can see, the people slamming the show seem to have a grasp on the English language while those defending it are barely literate. Now I wasn't there for the show, so I can't say what's true and what isn't, but I can tell you whose opinion I'm more likely to take seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Here is proof of bait and switch with the Young Bucks.

    https://mobile.twitter.com/TheFakeMattM/status/596453302767886338

    ReplyDelete