Tuesday, May 16, 2017

A Georgial Legend Passes Away

From Larry Goodman:

Doug Somers passed away today at the age of 65 after a long battle with Parkinson's Disease.

I recall "Pretty Boy" Doug Somers wrestling on the undercards at the Atlanta City Auditorium for Georgia Championship Wrestling in the late 70s. There was something unique about his look and style.

Somers, a native of Minneapolis, was best known for his AWA World Tag Team Championship run with "Playboy" Buddy Rose, managed by Sherri Martel, and their feud with the Midnight Rockers, Shawn Michaels and Marty Jannetty.

Somers was a beloved by many Georgia independent wrestlers.

From Murder One: 

R.I.P. Doug Somers You were a great man! I wish you could have gotten the chance to call me a pussy one more time! Love you sir!

From Jagged Edge:

Some of the best advice i have been given, came from Pretty Boy Doug Somers. It became routine for us to get together at a UIW show and sit back and just talk. Man I miss those days. I'm gonna miss him. It's strange and funny how things work because growing up in Chicago we got AWA wrestling, i watched him there. In the early part of my career, Iwas on Mid South shows with him and to end up friends i mean just sit in the car and talk friends with someone you watched as a child..... Wow. I have been blessed to have shared just a moment with this man.... And yes Mr Somers. If he moves when i say stay again..... I WILL BREAK HIS FREAKING ARM !!!! You will be missed. Rest well my friend.


No comments:

Post a Comment